IsoGlaze: The only cost-effective alternative to rocksalt
The Airport Industry
The UK airport industry is currently undergoing significant change and faces a range of strategic and operational challenges. This includes the following key aspects:
- The UK is the largest aviation network in Europe and the third largest in the world, an industry that contributes at least £22 billion to the UK economy, along with over 230,000 jobs
- A thriving aviation sector is tangible evidence of economic confidence, growing tourism, increased trade, and business investment.
- Passenger numbers have been increasing for seven consecutive years, and it’s estimated that UK passenger traffic could soar from 284 million to 435 million by 2050.
- The London airport system will be almost entirely full by 2030 without expansion.
- The Airports Commission estimated that failing to address the need for extra airport capacity could cost passengers £21-23 billion in the form of fare
increases and delays, and potentially £30-45 billion to the wider economy.
Benefits of IsoGlaze for Airports
IsoGlaze outperforms rocksalt in all the key customer requirements
It has the following specific benefits for airports:
- Starts working on impact with snow and ice by producing an exothermic reaction thus heating up the immediate area and melting faster, making access areas safer for passengers and staff
- Anti-icing properties for up to 48 hours helping to maintain de-iced areas for longer and thus reducing re-applications
- Reduced corrosion of at least 80% against rocksalt
- Doesn’t clog door runners and therefore doesn’t jam
- No messy residue
- Less toxic than rocksalt
- Less caustic than rocksalt
- 1 bag of IsoGaze melt the equivalent of 6 bags of rocksat, thus you use 6x less IsoGlaze saving on storage and labour costs.
- Works to minus 25⁰ against rocksalt’s effective working temperature of minus 6⁰
The commercial opportunity and strategic fit
IsoGlaze provides a unique proposition to the de-icing demands of the airport industry that dovetails perfectly with their immediate and ongoing requirements for their passengers and their long-term plans for infrastructure and the future direction of the industry. This includes:
- Increased passenger safety due to IsoGlaze’s faster acting properties in removing snow and ice
- Improved passenger experience due to enhanced mobility in and around airports in adverse weather, no messy residue and pet friendly products
- Reduced mess caused by the current use of rocksalt and marine salt
- Protection of long term investments due to the reduction in damage to concrete, infrastructure and equipment
- Additional green credentials to be added to the existing environmental commitments
- Product innovation with current developments at AffluTeq including a de-icer spray for concourses and walkways, as an alternative to granular product.
The inherent problems with rocksalt
The damaging and corrosive effects of rocksalt have been covered already but we will summarise these for completeness:
- It is corrosive to metal structures, equipment and component parts and will therefore cause damage to bridges, infrastructure, car parks and equipment.
- It is destructive to concrete
- It is highly toxic and will cause damage to plants, vegetation and waterways.
- Its caustic properties cause harm to pets’ paws and skin and can be fatal to small animals.
- Its messy residue will degrade both natural and synthetic fabrics and requires additional cleaning costs whenever used.